Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT SHOULD WE BRING?
- You should try to bring soft-sided luggage since space is limited and storage is easier.
- Hard luggage can damage woodwork and paint.
- For clothing, bring casual wear, mostly shorts and T-shirts, and swimsuits. Maybe a jacket,
slacks and a sundress , loose-fitting cover-up and maybe a windbreaker for cooler evenings.
- Rubber soled shoes are recommended aboard our yachts.
- Lots of suntan lotion, hats and/or sailing caps.rent
- Snorkeling equipment is included on all of our boats, but feel free to bring your own if you prefer.
ARE YOUR CAPTAINS LICENSED?
All of our captains are USCG licensed and are also ASA certified.
HOW FAR IS THE DRIVE FROM SAN JUAN INT'L AIRPORT (SJU) TO THE MARINA?
The drive takes between 45-60 minutes depending on traffic.
WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET TO THE MARINA? WHAT IS THE STANDARD TAXI COST?
We will be more than happy to arrange an airport/hotel pick up for you. (Metro area). The driver will be able to stop and wait while you provision (for up to 1 hour) at no extra cost. The cost per trip is $90 for up to 4 people + $15 for each additional person. Tip is not incuded. Note that an additional fee of $10 will apply for a longer wait.
WHERE CAN WE STAY (NEAR THE MARINA) PRIOR TO OUR CHARTER?
These are some of the hotels and lodges close to our main base:
www.luquillosunrise.com www.ceibacountryinn.com www.fajardoinn.com
WHAT TIME CAN WE BOARD?
Boarding time is at 10:00am. Charters begin after onboard 10:00am briefing has been completed. The boarding time for Arrival Night Stays is 5:00pm. Arrival Night Stays are only available out of our base in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
ARE THERE MOORING FEES?
There are no mooring fees in Culebra and most in Vieques are free, EXCEPT the ones located on the west side of Cay Real. These mooring balls say Caribe on them. The fee is $25 per day and payments can be made in cash ONLY and paid to the operator of the mooring field directly.
ARE THERE NATIONAL PARK FEES AND FISHING PERMITS REQUIRED?
There are no National Parks Fees and no Recreational Fishing Permits required.
WHAT ARE THE EXTRA COSTS?
Arrival night stays have a cost of HALF the daily charter rate. Boarding time is at 5:00pm or later. Arrival night stays are based on availability.
- Diesel Fuel Damage Waiver Fee:
- Monohulls – $40, per night
- Catamarans – $50, per night.
- A $500 refundable CASH or Travelers’ Checks security deposit is due upon arrival.
WHAT OPTIONS DO WE HAVE FOR PROVISIONING?
Have Your Yacht Fully Stocked Before You Arrive:
Our Full Provisioning Service Option has an initial cost of $175 for the first 4 people & $19 for each additional person. List available upon request.
Only available out of our base in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. Not available at this time from our base in Red Hook, St. Thomas.
- Pueblo Supermarket – Open 24 hours year round. Very well stocked including Wine & Spirits.
- SuperMax – Open 24 hours, year round. Very well stocked including wine and Spirits.
- Sam’s & Costco are also on the way to the marina. Please bear in mind the space limitation when considering shopping at either one.
- Near Marina: These are located within a 5-10 minute drive from our Fajardo base.
- Econo Supermarket: Fajardo Shopping Center. Very well stocked, including Wine & Spirits.
- Walmart Supercenter: Fajardo Shopping Center. Well stocked but limited on Wine & Spirits.
- Ralph’s Food Warehouse (Road #3– Well stocked including Wine & Spirits.
- Amigo: Ceiba: Well stocked including Wine and Spirits.
- Moe’s Fresh Market – Located right across the street from American Yacht Harbor. Well stocked including Wine & Spirits.
- Sami’s Fresh Mart – Located right across the street from American Yacht Harbor. Limited stock but available for any last minute forgotten items.
- Food Center – Located on the East End, West of Red Hook, on Route 32. Well stocked including Wine & Spirits
IS THERE PARKING INSIDE THE MARINA?
There is plenty of free parking inside the marina and 24hr security.
IS THERE A RENTAL CAR FACILITY INSIDE THE MARINA?
Yes, there is a Allied Car & Truck Rental facility right next to our office. For an additional fee they offer alternate location drop off. For more information please contact them (787)455-7350.
CAN I BRING MY IPOD?
All of our boats are iPod adaptable, so please bring your music with you. *WE DO NOT PROVIDE ADAPTERS so please bring yours. Thank you.
DO YOU PROVIDE BEACH TOWELS?
No we do not provide beach towels.
IS SCUBA DIVING ALLOWED ON THE BOATS?
Scuba diving is totally prohibited on all our yachts but there are places on both Vieques & Culebra that offer scuba tours and equipment rental.
In Vieques: www.blackbeardsports.com
In Culebra: www.culebradivers.com
DO YOU RENT PADDLEBOARDS/KAYAKS?
We do have standup paddleboards and kayaks available for rental. The cost is $25 per day each. *We’ll appreciate that requests be made at least 30 days in advance in order to confirm availability.
DO YOU RENT FISHING EQUIPMENT?
We DO NOT rent fishing equipment but you’ll be able to purchase a fishing kit at West Marine in Fajardo, which is on the way to the marina.
ARE PETS ALLOWED ON BOARD?
No pets allowed on the boats.
IS SMOKING ALLOWED ON THE BOATS?
Smoking is not permitted on board. Below or on deck.
Can We Stay Aboard The Night Before Our Charter?
Arrival night stays are available on charters that are 7 nights or longer & ONLY out of our base in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. These are based on availability and have a cost of half the daily charter rate.
DO YOU PROVIDE SNORKEL EQUIPMENT?
Yes. Complimentary snorkel gear is available; however, we recommend that you bring your own if your size is very small or very large.